Monday, November 3, 2008

Holidays

So the year is almost over and despite the freshness that spring brings, I love the cold, damp, chilliness comes with the fall.  I love wearing socks around the house and having to bundle up with a blanket at night on the couch.  I love green bean casserole made my mom's special way.  I can't wait for Thanksgiving this year, and of course for Christmas.  I think Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, it's like Christmas without the stress.  Although I love Christmas, too.  I am excited about teaching my children over the years the true meaning of Christmas and benefitting from that lesson myself.  I love to think of the stories of the Savior's birth and all that transpired during that mementos occasion.  I love to think of the wise men and why we give gifts.  I love to think of my family and friends and what special treasures I can find for them this year and I love to prepare my holiday mailing list.  It is always about 75 people, no matter how hard I try to edit.  I have sent cards since I was about 13 and it is a tradition that I value and look forward to.  A cup of hot cocoa, Celine singing christmas songs in the background and my stack of cute holiday stamps that I bought really early so they didn't run out.  I am sure no one really values my cards too much, just another Christmas card, but I find true joy in sending them, just as I do in sending thank you cards.  It makes me happy.  So as the year comes to close and I feel nostalgic I will prepare to celebrate with all of my senses, yummy smells, twinkly sights, delicious tastes, magical sounds, and plenty of loved ones to touch with a hug or kiss.

No comments: